I recently purchased the EPSON WorkForce Pro GT-S50 Document Scanner on Amazon for $329.98. I was also considering the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500, and settled with the GT-S50 after reading positive reviews. The most common issue I read with the ScanSnap is that it would often catch double sheets while scanning.
After about 100 scans, the scanner is working great. The only minor issue I have with it is that the side rails that guide the documents in should be longer. Longer documents sometimes become crooked when scanning.
I prefer to download drivers directly from the manufacturer. I downloaded and installed:
- Scanner Driver and EPSON Scan Utility v3.66A
- Event Manager Utility v2.40.06
- Epson Copy Utility v3.50.00
The scanner will default to using the EPSON Scan software when the Start button on the scanner is pressed. I wanted to test drive the Epson Event Manager as I am interested in having preset jobs that don’t involve interacting with the computer. You have to set the Epson Event Manager to be the default action when the Start button is pressed.
Create a custom Job in Epson Event Manager
- Under row 5 (or any available row), select B&W PDF-Duplex – Letter/B&W/200 dpi/PDF/Save to “Documents”/Open Folder.
- Click Make Job Settings. The Job Settings menu will open.
- Click Duplicate. A new job called Job1 will appear in the Edit Job Settings
- You may change the Scan Settings as you desire. I have changed the Launch Action to [Take no action] (Save only). Click OK.
- Under row 5, Select Job1. Click Close.
- Insert a double-sided letter sized document into the scanner feeder.
- Using the up/down arrows on the scanner, select Job1. Click the Start button.
That’s all there is to it. See the PDF result. The only down-side to using the Epson Event Manager is that it does not auto-size scanned documents such as receipts. To accomplish this, I ultimately ended up using EPSON Scan in conjunction with the Epson Event Manager.
Custom Auto-Size & Save Job Using Epson Event Manager
- Set the default Start button action for the scanner to Epson Event Manager (instructions).
- Open Epson Event Manager. Select Scan and Save – Scan using EPSON Scan. under an available row. Click Close.
- Open EPSON Scan. Change the settings as follows. The Name will be the last thing changed.
- Under Name, type ‘Autosize and Save’. Click Save.
- Click Close.
- Insert any size double-sided document into the scanner feeder.
- Using the up/down arrows on the scanner, select Scan and Save. Click the Start button.
See the PDF result.
References: Epson GT-S50 User Guide